Tuesday, October 20, 2009

The difficulty of being naked!

What does it mean to be naked?

Shed one’s clothes? or bare one’s soul?

I wonder which one’s harder! I think I always go around showing people the part of me that I want them to see.

That’s certainly true when I dress up!

But I find myself ‘dressing up’ in many areas of my life. “How much do I reveal? What can I let them know? Who do they see me as?”

Dressing up in such ways is rather disturbing. Everything I say or do is designed to conceal something else that I’m not saying or doing!

Saying how I really feel, showing who I really am, unequivocally, that’s being truly naked. To be who I am and “let the chips fall where they may” , as Anthony Hopkins put it, is where true freedom lies.

But what does being myself REALLy mean. I don’t have a handle on that yet.

I crave to know what lies within and to show it to the world. I long to make real my most outrageous ideas. I yearn to make magic with my music. I wish to dazzle all with my poetry. I have dreams to inspire people even as I seek inspiration deep within myself.  What does all this require?

A great measure of courage for sure. Standing naked in the rain of public scrutiny, knowing that myself is what I started with and when all is said and done, myself is all I’ll be left with.

Should I cower down, being afraid to say or do the wrong things,  make a fool of myself or should I let the rain fall?

Ah! The difficulty of being naked!

No comments:

Post a Comment