Saturday, February 13, 2010

Day 98 (2/11/10): Catch 22

Some men are born mediocre, some men achieve mediocrity, and some men have mediocrity thrust upon them.

Theres a long list of mostly humorous aspirations for this project that is coffee-stained and sitting on my desk. This list remains mostly unfulfilled, but I had the opportunity to really hit one out of the park. The classic sitcom situation of having two dates in the same night, in the same place. I was pretty much gearing up to do this the night before. I talked to two different “fans” and was working on meeting with them at one of my usual haunts, two hours apart. To be even more upfront about it, I had more then two options I was sussing out, and seeing what bit, what didn’t and what gave me the right kind of back and forth. These are the things when I have an excess of caffeine and a very low amount of work.

I went to get dinner with a friend, and started shooting the shit, and grabbing a few beers. I figured I had the whole night, even though it’s a Thursday. I wanted to really enjoy the 98th day of this, and maybe keep em on the ropes, but I got in my own way, as I’m want to do. I got a little more swamped (read: drunk) than I would have liked. Naturally, this would be primer for two coats of brunettes in my evening, but I wasn’t feeling stirred and ready to go. I kept buying rounds, putting it off later and later.

I arrived around the bar around 9, and was about to call one, both, either, of them, but just put my phone on silent and ordered a Makers. I went to text, Nicole, but was either too drunk or too sober to go for it. I did the same for Kara, but that one was definitely due to sobriety. I shut my phone off, content to isolation and the death of any semblance of a sober cell. There was a cute bartender that I didn’t bother initiating conversation that didn’t include a drink order. I painted myself a pretty drunk, but I just didn’t have the energy to both approaching anything. I just kept ordering more Rye and thinking about the whole thing.

Since about Day 2, I’ve been constantly getting comments, queries, and concerns about what happens when it’s done. Or what happens if I fall for somebody during this. I’m in a pretty non-commital relationship, a pretty fucked-up fuck-buddy situation, and a few random girls that kind of took me by surprise. I started feeling like I had to do something with myself to make it all worthwhile. I had to throw myself through the gauntlet and come out the hero. So I walked up to a pair of girl’s, hoping one of them would at least be Nately’s whore, but I wound up apologizing for the disturbance after two minutes and retreated back to my glass.

[Via http://100girls100days.com]

No comments:

Post a Comment